Search This Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2021

Spring Fling Kidlit Writing Contest




Crickets Sing Me to Sleep

By Elizabeth Voss


Goodnight, Sweetheart," says Mom. She bends to kiss my head.

But I’m not sleepy yet; I peek outside instead.

 

Blink-BLINK-blink-BLINK-blink-BLINK.

The fireflies’ lights flick on.

And off and on and off. They’re lighting up the lawn.

 

Flit-FLIT-flit-FLIT-flit-FLIT.

Moths dance in beams of light.

They spin in dizzy rings to celebrate the night.

 

I’m getting kind of sleepy – I lie back down.

I close my eyes and listen; night is full of sounds.

 

Vroom-VROOM-vroom-VROOM-vroom-VROOM.

A car goes rumbling by.

Bump-BUMPing on the road, then fading like a sigh.

 

Croak-CROAK-croak-CROAK-croak-CROAK.

The toads cry out a song.

They raise their voices in a happy sing-along.

 

RiBBIT-riBBIT-riBBIT, the frogs are chanting too.

They cluck and whistle: it’s a hullabaloo.

 

Creee-CREEE-creee-CREEE-creee-CREEE.

Crickets sing me to sleep.

Creee-CREEE-creee-CREEE-creee-CREEE. They’re lulling me so deep.

 

Purr-PURR-purr-PURR-purr-PURR.

It’s Sylvie, sweetest pea.

She crawls along my legs and snuggles next to me.

 

Zzzzzzzzzz...

2 comments:

  1. I love your use of onomatopoeia, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this lulling bedtime story with is for the spring fling Kidlit contest! Sincerely, Kaitlyn Leann

    ReplyDelete